Prologis WELL Building Standard Project Nominated for MIPIM Awards 2019
Prologis Benelux worked together with the International WELL Building Institute (IWBI) to develop a standard for the health and well-being of warehouse employees. IWBI’s knowledge of how to improve human health and well-being through the built environment and Prologis’ specific expertise in logistics real estate merged as the two organizations joined forces to adapt and adopt WELL for this asset class. This project aligns with Prologis Benelux’s ambitions to continuously raise the standard and quality of buildings for its customers. The project at Tilburg DC5, where Pantos Logistics leases a 23,000 square meter warehouse, is located in one of the most important logistics areas in the Netherlands.
By creating a pleasant and healthy work environment for employees, Prologis provides customers with a unique added value because employees are such a critical resource. “Building Tilburg DC5 was a great project to further develop the WELL building concept,” says Arthur van Kooij, head of project management Northern Europe for Prologis. He adds, “Shifting toward a more human-centric approach is an eye-opener and leads to new insights to give our buildings an extra competitive edge. It pays off as soon as you step into the building and experience the space as a pleasant environment. Aside from the clear environmental and social sustainability benefits, I hope that it will become standard to apply WELL principles to logistics real estate in the future. In the end, we create the environment we live and work in.”
Shortlisted for MIPIM Awards 2019
The special features of the WELL building in Tilburg earned Prologis a nomination for the MIPIM Awards 2019 in the category Best Industrial & Logistics Development. MIPIM is an international trade fair for real estate in Cannes, France. The exhibition—one of the largest real estate fairs in the world—brings together professionals, planners, engineers, urban planners, financial institutions, city representatives, brokers and consultants to present their ideas and projects. Since 1991, exceptional real estate projects worldwide have been presented with MIPIM Awards.
The Prologis project in Tilburg uses the WELL Building Standard, which focuses on seven categories of building performance: air, water, nourishment, light, fitness, comfort and mind. Pioneered by Delos, WELL is grounded in evidence-based medical research that demonstrates the connection between buildings and their occupants’ health and wellness. The WELL Building Standard is administered by IWBI and third-party certified by Green Business Certification Inc.
“We are delighted to be nominated for this year’s MIPIM Awards, especially for our WELL building project in Tilburg,” says van Kooij. “Designing warehouse facilities according to the WELL Building Standard equipped us with a new field of expertise. Prologis is eager to use this knowledge in new developments, and we approach every situation with an eye for unique solutions.”
What’s Special About Prologis Park Tilburg DC5?
- Prologis collaborated with Dutch software startup hello energy to invest in a state-of-the-art system that monitors the climate in real time, reducing energy costs and allowing more accurate control than a centralized system. Several data sensors were installed in the warehouse to make the building “smart.” The system provides insights into the use and the efficiency of the building.
- The warehouse façade features large glass surfaces, even on the mezzanine level, and special lighting systems to maximize daylight.
- Cutting-edge design studio Doepelstrijkers collaborated to design several green spaces inside the warehouse to create a pleasant work environment.
- An advanced ventilation system optimizes the indoor climate.
- Several Join the Pipe taps were installed in the building, giving employees easy access to drinking water.
- Custom materials were used to optimize acoustics within the distribution facility.